scented with comforting raspberry and white chocolate hugs
3/4 cups heavy cream
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
7 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
1/2 pint fresh raspberries, plus more for topping
2 large eggs, separated, plus 3 large more egg whites
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
1 teaspoon salt
1 bar white chocolate, for shaving
- In a small saucepan, bring the cream and butter to a simmer. Pour the hot mixture over the milk chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Let sit for about 1 minute, until chocolate begins to melt, then stir to form a smooth chocolate cream.
- Puree the raspberries in a blender or food processor. Strain through a fine sieve; discard raspberry pulp. Whisk the puree into the chocolate mixture. Set aside to cool for at least 15 minutes.
- When the chocolate raspberry cream has cooled, whisk in the egg yolks, one at a time. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whisk the 5 egg whites until frothy. Gradually add the sugar, cocoa powder, and salt, continuing to mix until the whites form stiff glossy peaks.
- Stir 2 large dollops of the egg whites into the chocolate raspberry cream to loosen it up, then gently fold in the remaining whites. Cover the mousse with plastic wrap and chill at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Serve chilled with shavings of white chocolate and fresh raspberries.
Quantity: 8 to 10 servings