with mandarins, pistachios, and vodka
3 large eggs
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
3 tablespoons superfine sugar
1 tablespoon vodka
Zest of 1 orange, preferably mandarin, plus more for sprinkling
1 1/2 cups orange juice, preferably mandarin
1/2 cup vodka
3 tablespoons brandy
Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
Chopped pistachios, for sprinkling
- Make the crêpes. Whisk together the eggs and granulated sugar. Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Whisk the dry ingredients into the egg mixture until the batter is smooth. Whisk in the milk. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°F. Warm 1 tablespoon butter in a nonstick crêpe or omelet pan over medium heat until it foams and subsides. Pour just enough batter into the pan to create a thin, even layer with a ladle or by rotating the pan. Pour any excess batter back into the bowl. When the bottom of the crêpe is lightly brown, flip and cook for a few more seconds. Transfer the cooked crêpe to an ovenproof plate and cover with wax paper.
- Repeat with the remaining batter, and butter the pan when necessary, separating each cooked crêpe with wax paper. To keep crêpes warm while cooking the remainder, cover the top crêpe with aluminum foil and keep stacking in the 200°F oven. Crêpes are best eaten immediately but can be kept covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 day.
- Make the filling. Combine the butter, superfine sugar, vodka, and zest, whisking until smooth. Place a crêpe, golden brown side up, on work surface. Spread 1 teaspoon filling in the center of the crêpe, then fold bottom up and over the center. Fold in sides of the crêpe to form a stuffed triangle. Repeat with the remaining crêpes.
- Make the sauce. In a large pan, simmer the orange juice until reduced by one-third. Reduce the heat to low. Arrange the folded crêpes in a circle covering the bottom of the pan, overlapping if necessary. Baste with juice until they are warmed through, about 2 minutes. Place on serving platter and dust with confectioners’ sugar.
- Pour the vodka and brandy into a small saucepan and heat over a low flame. Do not allow to boil. With a long match, carefully light the alcohol and pour immediately over the crêpes. Sprinkle with orange zest and pistachios and serve.\
Quantity: 6 to 8 servings